Welcome to our blog!  I know blogs are the "landline phones" of todays social media world, but I wanted a format where I could introduce members of my herd.  I spend so many hours texting and messaging people looking for miniature cattle.  I thought it might be easier for future cattle owners to scroll through pictures and get to know my cattle, while learning why I keep the cattle I keep and what characteristics I breed for. 

Here at Idaho Galloway Cattle, we love ALL the colors!  We chose the Galloway breed for 4 reasons.  1) Their long, curly hair is adorable  2) Ease of calving - calves are lower birth weight and cows rarely require calving assistance  3) Mild Temperament  4) The forage well and love cold winters.

What we didn't expect is to fall in love with this breed and turn them into PETS!  We started with some very small framed bred heifers.  They had beautiful babies and we decided to purchase a herd bull.  We chose a short, white registered Galloway bull from Northern Wyoming.  His name is Johnson, or Mr. J and he has proven himself as an excellent breeder, providing us with dozens of gorgeous babies over the years!  We have expanded our genetics and added smaller genes in an effort to breed small, mild tempered, curly haired, adorable cows. 



Last spring, we make a road trip to South Dakota to pick up Morty, a micro miniature bull who looks just like Mr. J!  Morty is chondro positive - he has a dwarf gene.  He will likely mature under 36" tall.  He will be breeding our heifers who are under 42" this spring and we will expand our miniature Galloway adventures into micro-mini cuteness overload!



I will be adding posts about each member of our herd over the next few weeks.  I will tell you why I love them, plans for their future, and if they are available for purchase.  We typically have between 8-10 babies available for purchase each year.  We keep a waiting list, so if you fall in love with one of our momma cows and need a miniature furry friend in your pasture... let us know!







Comments

Popular Posts